Being a pet parent is anything but easy. You have to keep a track of everything – diet, exercise, grooming, and mental wellbeing. Typically, a dog’s coat tells a lot about overall health. If your dog has dull hair with no shine, it might indicate many things, including an underlying disease. No wonder, vets and pet experts suggest owners to focus on grooming, diet and maintenance. In this post, we have 6 tips that will help in better coat care.
- Choose the right food. Your dog needs the right balance between protein, fiber and fat. Contrary to what many believe, pets do need grains, which are a good source of carbohydrates. Canines may also need additional vitamins and mineral, so talk to your vet to know about the best supplements.
- Grooming is important. You need to brush your dog daily, regardless of the coat length and type. You will find nice brushes, which help in removing tangles, mats, dead skin cells and hair. Brushing also aids blood circulation, which helps the look of the skin and coat.
- Choose the right shampoo. There are special shampoos that are formulated for adults, puppies and senior dogs. Compare a few options and choose one that has the maximum natural ingredients. Avoid chemical based products and stick to products that have natural oils. Miracle Coat Detangling Dog Shampoo is a good option, if your dog has long hair.
- Check for parasites. Don’t be surprised to find ticks and fleas. Parasites are very common in canines and are mostly found in hot and rainy seasons. Keep a check around the ears and neck, where you can spot them. Ticks can cause skin issues, so if you see one or two, get a medicated shampoo right away.
- Include more omega-3 fatty acids in the diet. If you don’t want to add supplements to the diet, you can include foods like sardines and tuna, which are high on omega-3 fatty acids. You just need to boil and add some of these fishes to your dog’s dry food.
- Don’t bath often. Unless your dog goes out in the messy yard, he doesn’t need to bath every day. All dogs have oils in their skin, and frequent bathing can deplete them. Make sure that you check for dry and flaky skin.
Lastly, check for shampoos that have oatmeal, which is good for the skin. You can compare shampoos online on many sites, so there’s a lot of free information out there.